Sunday, November 30, 2008

Ambalona

On the 26th,I visited a school in Kelilana, which was the first school that Hope for Madagascar helped. We got to see the small library (apprx. 25 books), which was cool. The students sang and danced for us and gave me a Malagasy hat and vest. I am now in Ambalona, a village of about 1,700 people. All of the kids are very happy, and I’m having a good time. We climbed up a waterfall today, and on our way back we got to look at a rice field. We also got rice that is still in its shell to show my class. Tomorrow morning a woman is going to show me how to pound the rice to de-hull it. I’m becoming better friends with the kids from Antananarivo, as well as getting to know the kids from Ambalona. All of the kids are amazed to see an American child and they follow me wherever I go and watch everything I do. It’s making me a bit uncomfortable to be stared at all the time, but I’m still having fun with them. I’ve spent hours throwing those little, tiny, squishy, thin footballs (that say CU Buffs, Boulder, and Pasta Jays on them) around with the Malagasy kids. I’m doing pretty well teaching them to throw a spiral, which they all enjoy.Veloma (Goodbye), Nathan

9 comments:

Ninny said...

Hi Nathan. It was so great to hear about Ambalona. Maya: I'm glad you are getting along with the other kids. It must be fun to have friends all the way from Madagascar. Ginny: One of my favorite parts of your blog was hearing that you got to climb a waterfall! I bet your mom loved that as well. What a life-long set of memories you and those children will have of throwing a football, meeting each other and learning about one another. Thank you for sharing your travels with us. Love to you and your mom, ginny and maya

Georges said...

I can't wait to read the next post Nathan. It sounds like you are having a great time in Mada.

Gregory Fearon said...

I'm so glad you are enjoying this adventure. How many people from the USA even know what Madagascar is and where it is?! You will have much to share with folks back home.

Meaghan said...

hey nathan this is meaghan just want to say that the blogs and pictures are really cool and hope to see you so you can tell us about it!!! have fun!!!!

Ninny said...

Hi Nathan. How did your presentation go today?
Ninny

The Sheerin's said...

Hi all,

We wish we were there with you. Sounds like you are having a great time, we cannot wait to hear all about it. Say hi to Fanja and Joan for us.

Sue, Billy, Will and Jake

Grace :):):):):) said...

Hey Nathan!
This is Grace.
Its sound like your having a fun time!
Nice Pictures!
Have fun!
Are the people nice there?
Grace

Peggy Lazarus said...

Nathan, I find your Blog fascinating. To see LEMURS, waterfalls, photos, kids, teaching to throw a spiral are such great experiences. You are introducing us to another world.
Love,
Grandma

Phil Straus said...

Can you teach us how to count in a new language?