Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Blog from Tulear

I am in a big city in Madagascar called Tulear. We finished giving out the t-shirts and did the last LEEP program yesterday, which was great, but all of the friends that I had made i had to say goodbye to, and that was very sad. When we did the LEEP program, there were some things that Americans do that Malagasy kids don't do, so I had to write them on a chalkboard so they could write the words they didn't know. I told them my favorite food was a hamburger, which I explained was cow's meat. They probably think that I eat only that 24/7, because they eat rice, corn, chicken, zebu (malagasy cow), cassava (a vegetable) at every meal. After this trip, I will be happy not to eat rice and chicken for awhile. I stopped eating the chicken last week after we carried nine roosters on top of our car and then I caught a glimpse of the Malagasy cutting their heads off. I had to explain what baseball and tennis are. The teacher speaks British English, so he could translate although he had trouble understanding my pronunciation. He pronounced soccer like "saucer". He spelled my name Newton, as they don't really hear the "th" sound. I leave to Ifaty beach at 10:00 our time (midnight colorado time), and we're going to be there for 2 nights. I got to see ring-tailed lemurs 5 feet away from me in one of the parks that we visited, which was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Ninny said...

Wow. What amazing stories, Newton/Nathan. So many memories. Sounds like everyone learned a lot of new things. Will you be able to write to some of your new friends once you get back to Boulder? Love to you from Chicago.
Ninny and Maya

Georges said...

Great Post Nathan. I can see that you learned a lot from this LEEP trip. I can't wait to read your next post. Georges (Florida).